Saturday 16 January 2016

2016 Races 1. 2016 DNSs 1.



As hundreds of fellow ultrarunners head for a frozen Wendover, I am instead sitting on my comfy and warm sofa with my packed bags still piled up in the hallway.

Walked through the pros and cons of skipping the race:

  • Con – I’m a runner.  Not turning up to an event that I have committed to, which is also part of a series I’m planning to race through the year, directly conflicts with this.
  • Pro – I am actually sick.  I had a doctor’s note and drugs and everything.  The combination is causing some dehydration, poor quality sleep and stomach distress.
  • Con – Dehydration, poor quality sleep and stomach distress are pretty a pretty usual combination for the period of a taper and race.
  • Pro – This is supposed to be a race for me, not the usual long run in the beautiful wilds.  If I cannot confidently push myself, I’m better off playing safe.
  • Can – It means I can tell the people who know about the race how well I did.  Most of them will have no idea what would be a good result.
  • Pro – There is a small chance that I might not complete the race.  It is a point to point a couple of hours away and getting back from one of the checkpoints is likely to be a pain in the arse.
  • Con – Even if I jog the thing, it would be a result for the race series and might be useful if I have to pull out of one of the later races unexpectedly.
  • Pro – I would get the whole day back to do something more useful with my time.
  • Con – I will actually spend most of that time mulling over sacking off this race and generally feeling sorry for myself.
  • Con – I still have to run today anyway.  Not having this long run does somewhat interfere with the training plan for the next.
  • Pro – I won’t have to clean all of my kit?
  • Con – I do have quite a lot of unwatched stuff on my TiVo.

 Anyway.  I’m 90% sure that it was the right decision to not race today.  I shall be spending the next few days thinking mainly about that 10%.

Time to let the race organiser know that he has a spare slot that he will not have time to utilise.

No comments:

Post a Comment